8 Essential Keys to Being a Happy Wife
Every now and again, I receive a guest post that makes me stand up and cheer. Maybe not literally, but while I’m reading it I begin saying to myself, “Yes, yes, yes!”
This post by, Christine St. Vil, is just that. It’s short…actually, quite a bit shorter than the usual, but oh so mighty!
She hits the nail on the head and punctuates it with advice from her parents who have been happily married for more 47 years.
Just three years from their golden anniversary…I’m definitely heeding their advice!
There are so many important ingredients in the recipe for a happy marriage, and the ingredients and spices you use in your recipe might be completely different than what I use in mine.
But what I love about posts like this is I’m reminded to stay focused on my own recipe and keep on perfecting it.
Until tomorrow…make it a great day!
I can’t help but feel so excited to be a part of such an awesome community as HWC! It’s a place where bragging about my husband will never get old. Yes folks, happy wives really do exist (and I’m one of them)!
For many couples, we really do enjoy being married, and yes, we really are happy.
Here are 8 Essential Keys to Being a Happy Wife
1. A happy wife knows how to FLY (First Love Yourself). I know this is not the first time you’re hearing it, but it’s really important: you cannot be happy or love someone else in any relationship, if you are unhappy and unloving to yourself. It all starts from within.
2. A happy wife expresses love to her spouse. She shows her spouse love by having an attitude of gratitude. She tells him how much she appreciates even the smallest of contributions and support.
3. A happy wife respects her spouse. Regardless of differences of opinions, she never engages in name calling or disrespectful behavior towards her spouse.
4. A happy wife surrounds herself with other happy wives. And she’s not ashamed of distancing herself from unhappy or bitter wives. She knows she can lean on other happy wives for prayer and support.
5. A happy wife treats her marriage like a ministry. Regardless of your religious affiliation, marriage is a ministry. It’s designed for you to serve your spouse. When you focus on making your husband happy, he will naturally do the same for you.
6. A happy wife knows which battles are worth picking. Is it really worth the nagging that turns into fussing if you know he’s never going to remember to put the toilet seat down? Hanging on to the smaller idiosyncrasies can prohibit you from seeing that he did the dishes without asking, or took out the trash without the daily reminder.
7. A happy wife is okay admitting when she’s wrong. This was a tough one for me early on because I was one who really hated to be wrong and still do at times. But the difference now is that I can own up to my faults and I can admit when I’m wrong. Humility goes a long way. Learn to laugh at your own mistakes.
8. A happy wife knows when it’s time to let go. I interviewed my parents recently as they celebrated 47 years of marriage and this was one of their tips for reaching this milestone: They have the understanding that nobody is perfect, and they don’t expect each other to be. But nothing is more important than the sustainability of their union.
Are you a happy wife? What key would you add to this list?
Latest posts by Christine St. Vil (see all)
- 8 Crucial Things I Would Tell My Younger Self About Marriage - March 18, 2017
- 21-Day Valentine’s Challenge: Extending the Romance Beyond Today - February 13, 2017
- 8 Essential Keys to Being a Happy Wife - January 16, 2016