Being an Olympian people automatically think that I love to workout. They also assume that I love to eat clean healthy food all of the time. If you were to bet that those things were true you’d absolutely lose your money.
The truth is, I workout because I know that in order to have a healthy lean body it is a requirement. I’ll be turning 40 in a couple of weeks and one of my goals is to be in the best shape of my life in my 40′s. If I am to reach my goal I must put in the work and effort to make this happen.
Fit bodies aren’t made by chance, they are made on purpose. It’s a choice. Just like choosing to be happy in your marriage and in your life is a choice. It is also possible. Don’t ever forget that.
Being healthy and fit is possible for all of us, that means it’s possible for YOU too.
Since I don’t have endless hours in my day to exercise, I must do little things here and there on my busy days to get a workout in. If you are too busy to stop for 25 minutes or more to exercise then this list is for you.
1. Far Out- When you are out and about, do not circle around looking for the nearest parking spot. Drive towards the end of the row, you know where nobody parks their car. Park far away and walk.
2. Up and Down- Instead of using the elevator to go up to the third floor, take the stairs! Heck, take them both ways, up and down.
3. Push Ups- If you are at home, make a game with yourself. Every time you go upstairs for anything at all, as soon as you get to the top, drop down and do 10 pushups.
4. Always Time to Squat- This one is pretty funny, but yes I do this. Whenever you go to the bathroom on those days that you can’t fit in a workout, instead of sitting on the toilet, squat. In fact, before you potty, do 10 squats in place, then tinkle. You’ll work your hamstrings, quads, and calf muscles.
5. Walk Tall- Whenever you walk anywhere stand tall with your belly button pulled in. Pretend like there is a book on the top of your head that you must keep balanced. Shoulders back, chest up, and you’ll be working more than you think by just walking from place to place.
6. Dip, Dip, Dip- During your day when you sit down (on a sturdy non-rolling chair), before starting your work or whatever you will be doing, do 5 quick dips. You’ll be amazed at how many you’ll get in during the day.
7. Raise Up- Whenever you are in line at the market, post office, even waiting for the copy machine, you can do toe raises. These will help to define your calves. Sure you may look a little silly, but the next time you put on your heels your sexy calves will be winking at your hubby.
8. Just Flex- Another thing you can do while waiting in line, or even while you are in the car driving, is to flex your abdominal muscles. Pull you belly button in towards your back and bear down and hold it for 10 seconds, and gently release. No one will notice as you work on your core. Make sure to breathe.
9. Forget About it- Next time you are in the grocery store and only have a few items to get, forget about the shopping cart and grab a hand basket instead. Carrying the heavy bags will strengthen your body in the process.
10. Walk and Talk- Don’t sit on the couch or in your office chair when you are on the phone. Get up and march in place or walk around the room. With how long some of you talk, you can possibly walk a mile in your own office or family room.
11. Ditch the Chair- A great way to workout your core all day is to sit on a stability ball. Ditch your office chair and replace it with a stability ball. Being off balance and trying to keep stable, exercises your core. It’s fun too.
12. Brush Sit- We all know that we are supposed to brush our teeth at least twice a day for 2-minutes at a time. Instead of just standing there, put your back against the wall or closed door and do two 45-second sets of wall sits. Or, you can get in about 2 sets of 8-12 lunges! How’s that for time management.
13. Box Your Boss- I’m just kidding here. This is something you can do while waiting for your water to boil, oatmeal to cook, or waiting for your fax to come through – shadow box. Holding your tummy in tight, and punching with your legs in an athletic stance, you can burn quite a few calories quickly.
14. Go Green- If you live nearby a store, library, post office, etc., leave the car at home and save not only the planet, but increase the years on your life by walking or biking.
15. Do-it-yourself- Forget about taking your car to the car wash. Fire your yard man. Wash your own car and cut your lawn yourself! Not only will you save money, but you can sneak in a great workout this way.
16. Commercial Workout- When your favorite show goes to a commercial break drop down and do 10 pushups and 20 sit ups. If you are watching an hour program this could add up to 40 pushups and 80 sit ups. That’s probably more than you would have done at the gym!
17. Watch and Ride- One of my favorite television shows is the Biggest Loser. I have an elliptical machine in my family room. Whenever the show comes on I hop on the elliptical for about 40 minutes instead of just vegging out on the couch. Use your stationary bike, treadmill or elliptical during your favorite television show.
18. Just Say YES- Getting into the habit of saying “Yes” to your husband will not only make him happy, it can help you get trim. Sexercise is a win-win situation ladies. Do it often.
19. Chat and Scat- I know you love to meet your girlfriends or husband for coffee. Why not take your coffee to-go! Grab your coffee or tea, put it in a to-go cup and walk and talk with your husband or girlfriends. You’ll burn calories as you are chatting away.
20. Change Your Date- Instead of going on dates where you are sedentary, pick active date locations. Volleyball leagues, church softball games, and even dance classes can not only spice up your relationship, but can also help you slim down your waistline.
Question: How do you sneak in a workout?